Monday, December 24, 2018

BONUS BLOG: Behind the Scenes of my First Chiefs Game


By this point, all of my readers have heard the story, or read the blog of my first Chiefs game, the tailgating, the throwing of the first pass and my walk down the concrete path that led into the Chiefs’ tunnel, surrounded by pumping music and the smells of beer and BBQ.
For all these things, it was a day that will live on in my memory for the rest of my days.
There’s was one more thing that will stick in my mind and resonate with me at my deepest and most emotional core. It has been a jealously guarded secret that has been kept until the typing of these words.
But now the time is right for my readers to know the full and true story.
Let’s go back.
Back before the tunnel, before the tail gating and even before my wife and I were picked up to leave for the game
I sat on my couch, excitement stirring in my mind and heart, as I mentally prepared for my first Chiefs game and what would probably be the only pass I would ever throw in the National Football League. I was flipping channels on the TV, trying to distract myself from the excitement, finally settling on Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - my favorite of the Star Wars original trilogy.
My beautiful wife brought me a cup of coffee and sat down next to me with her own cup. We sipped our coffee infused with pumpkin spice creamer and talked about the events of the day, speaking in quiet tones, so as not to wake our almost two year old daughter.
We were enjoying each other’s company.
Just as we finished our cups of coffee, I stood up, took my wife’s cup and my own, walked into the kitchen and deposited them into the sink, my light perception registering the bright sun light coming in threw the window above the sink, a perfect day for Chiefs football.
I went back into the living room and sat down next to my wife, while Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher flew the Millennium Falcon threw an asteroid field on the T in the background
“I have something for you.” My wife said to me. “It’s not much, but I wanted to give you a little gift, to let you know I’m proud of you.”
She walked off down the hall, returning a few seconds later with a small gift bag in her hand. I took the bag from her, and began to unwrap the ribbon and tissue paper.
“I was going to give it to you later tonight, but knew we would get home late and be tired.”
I reached inside the small bag, and drew out a small stuffed mini football which was tied to an object, with football ribbon. It halted my breath, stopped my heart and made the rest of my life, entirely and utterly complete.
“Looks like you’re getting another football buddy.” She said.

Chalkboard with "Drafting a New Player...July 2019...", a sonogram picture, a mini Chiefs' helmet, white knit booties and a football.
When the moment of realization hit me, and the full effect of what was tied to that mini football washed over me, I looked up at my wife, my mouth hanging open and my eyes wide.
I held the mini football in one hand and the positive pregnancy test in the other.
I took my beautiful pregnant wife into my arms, held her tight for a long time, then we parted, kissed and went to our first Chiefs game.
About nine hours later, I walked down that concrete path, leading down through the Chiefs’ tunnel and set foot on that oh so hallowed ground at Arrowhead Stadium, knowing that it wasn’t just my first Chiefs’ game or me throwing out the first pass or sitting in the booth with Mitch Holthus or even the beating the Chiefs gave the Bengals with a 45-10 victory.
That day of was also the day my little family grew.
Enjoy this time with your families, football fanz!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BQB Red Friday Prediction Week 15: Donkey Week Part II

Who: Kansas City Chiefs vs Denver Broncos When: Sunday, December 15, 12:00 PM Where: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missou...