Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Letter to Alex Smith

Below you will find a letter I wrote to Alex Smith, not long after he was traded to the Red Skins for 2 draft picks and Cornerback Kendall Fuller. I did not write this letter as an amateur sports writer, but as nothing more then a true fan.



Dear Alex Smith.

                I’m sure you receive a large amount of mail from fans, and I am not even certain if this will reach you, but I wanted to try. My name is Cameron Black. I moved to Kansas City about a year and a half ago, with my wife Kat. I will not bore you with my life story, but I would like you to know this much. I am now 29 years old, and for the first 27 years of my life, I cared nothing about football or any other sport. This was not because I didn’t like it or had anything against it, it is because I was borne completely blind. As a blind man, I thought such a visual sport as football to be something completely out of my reach and realm of understanding, so I never even tried.
                Upon moving to Kansas City, I knew I was moving into a sports town, but primarily a football town, so I had my father, who is a huge football fan, tutor me in football. I apologize sir, I have a tendency to ramble, but here is the point. I became a passionate fan of football. I now follow all football religiously, but none more than the Chiefs. The Chiefs were the first team I have ever became a true passionate fan of in my life, and you are the first football player I have ever became a true fan of. I like all the other Chiefs as well, but you, you are my quarterback. When I first moved here, my Dad told me, “Your quarterback is Alex Smith. That’s the guy you need to learn about.” So I did.
                I am a huge fan of you as a football player, but I admire you as a person. I watch you in your interviews, and you seem so down to earth, you seem so humble, you seem so human, which is a quality that is not always visible in a pro athlete, and I respect it immensely. Several people have played a part in a blind man being able to see football, and you are one of them. It is because of you, that I have become a passionate football fan and a die-hard Chiefs fan. It is because of you that I as a blind man, am able to be a part of something that I thought permanently out of my reach, and I just wanted the opportunity to thank you.
From my heart, thank you Alex for doing that for me, and thank you for being my quarterback, and the first football player I ever became a fan of.
                When I saw the news that you had been traded, I had heard that it was probably going to happen all season, so I was not surprised, but I was disappointed. I understand everything behind it. I understand that it is a football decision and a business decision, and I am probably to sentimental about it. I’m sure the Chiefs are in good hands, and I’m sure Mahomes will do a great job, but for me, you will always be the quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs.
                I’m a collector of football memorabilia, and I have been scouring the stores in search of a #11 jersey to add to my collection, and I shall continue to do so until I find one. I have tried entering the raffles on chiefs.com to win a jersey, but to no avail. When my daughter was borne, in late November of 2016, she was only about a little over a week old, when the Chiefs faced the Raiders, in Arrowhead on Thursday night football. “That’s Alex Smith, #11, he’s our quarterback.” I told her as I held her in my arms.
                I will stop rambling now sir. I always hoped I would get a chance to meet you, so I could tell you in person what you playing for the Chiefs has meant to a young blind man and his family. I wish you and your family the absolute best, wherever your career may take you, but for me, no matter who takes the snaps for the Chiefs, you will always be my quarterback. You will always be the Quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs to me.

Your faithful fan.
Cameron Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BQB Red Friday Prediction Week 15: Donkey Week Part II

Who: Kansas City Chiefs vs Denver Broncos When: Sunday, December 15, 12:00 PM Where: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missou...